We asked Mary Bishop, a Silver 1 Student in our studio some questions about her favorite parts of Arthur Murray and our studio. She loves being part of the studio and we love that she’s part of our studio!
1) How long have you been a student at Arthur Murray Ashburn?
Over four years!
2) Which awards have you won?
15 awards including two time 1st place at Dance-O-Ramas, four time 1st place at Freestyles, and 1st place all arounds at Showcase.
3) I remember you saying that when you were looking for a home to purchase, you looked for an Arthur Murray nearby as a prerequisite for purchasing a home. Tell us more!
I had taken some dance lessons at an Arthur Murray in Pennsylvania before moving to this area. I love Arthur Murray so much that when I relocated to the Ashburn area, I had a list of 3 requirements for purchasing a home: good schools and a skating rink for my children and importantly, AN ARTHUR MURRAY STUDIO for myself nearby!
4) What is your favorite part about Arthur Murray and/or the Ashburn studio?
My favorite part has been meeting all the people at our studio and other studios at events I’ve participated in. I have made so many friendships over the years!
5) What do you love about dancing?
Even when I am feeling tired or am not in the best of moods, I’m always so excited to come to my lessons and learn something new. This studio is my happy place. I have to really be deathly ill to not come here. I will do anything other then cancel my lesson.
6) What is a fun fact about you (it can be anything!)?
Humm.. I am on the Board of Directors of Team Ashburn Synchronized Skating, Washington D.C. Metro Area’s Premier Synchronized Skating Organization!
7) What prompted you to start taking dance lessons and how do you feel about your progress since you first joined our studio?
I always wanted to take ballroom dance lessons. I had previously done some dance lessons when I was young (and was even in Macy’s Thanksgiving parade back in high school) but had never done partner dancing before so social dancing was very new to me. At first, when I started taking lessons at Arthur Murray, I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to follow but now, my following has come a long way and I feel that I am just able to follow, which is a great feeling.